Tuesday, January 20, 2009

44th Presidential inauguration

Many things have happened within the first 7 months of Taylor's birth and I can only hope that Obama becoming our newest president will renew Americians and their hope for the future. Matt and I are pretty lucky in the sense that we own a house, we have a beautiful daughter, two cats, 3 cars, and great jobs. I can't say that will last forever, but we are able to get by just fine. It hurts me to hear about all the people out there who lost their jobs, then their houses, then their families. When people say money doesn't matter, it's because they have plenty of it. You don't need much of it to live, but I think alot of people get used to living the American dream and want to own and do it all. Even though we both still have our jobs, we are trying to save money where we can so in case something does happen, we will be at least a little prepared. I pray that day will never come but we would be stupid to think it could never happen to us.
Obama seems to be the answer for many people and it seems like they expect him to create miracles. My only hope is to finally end the war in Iraq but in a manner so the Iraqi's can sustain their own country. I hope that American's learn to live with less and that most are able to find jobs and live within their means. I know that someday soon America will become a stronger nation and that people once again will be proud to live here. I don't expect it to happen tomorrow, but I do hope that when Taylor is old enough to vote that our nation is strong once again.
Quote from his speech:
"That we are in the midst of crisis is now well understood. Our nation is at war, against a far-reaching network of violence and hatred. Our economy is badly weakened, a consequence of greed and irresponsibility on the part of some, but also our collective failure to make hard choices and prepare the nation for a new age. Homes have been lost; jobs shed; businesses shuttered. Our health care is too costly; our schools fail too many; and each day brings further evidence that the ways we use energy strengthen our adversaries and threaten our planet.
These are the indicators of crisis, subject to data and statistics. Less measurable but no less profound is a sapping of confidence across our land — a nagging fear that America's decline is inevitable, and that the next generation must lower its sights.
Today I say to you that the challenges we face are real. They are serious and they are many. They will not be met easily or in a short span of time. But know this, America — they will be met.
On this day, we gather because we have chosen hope over fear, unity of purpose over conflict and discord. On this day, we come to proclaim an end to the petty grievances and false promises, the recriminations and worn out dogmas, that for far too long have strangled our politics.
We remain a young nation, but in the words of Scripture, the time has come to set aside childish things. The time has come to reaffirm our enduring spirit; to choose our better history; to carry forward that precious gift, that noble idea, passed on from generation to generation: the God-given promise that all are equal, all are free, and all deserve a chance to pursue their full measure of happiness."

No comments: